I’ve had this domain since 2006 and it has taken on various incarnations since then to support my business and non-profit interests.
In 2020, after a number of quite significant life events, it will take on a new role.
I intend to post fairly regularly on a diverse range of topics including:
- Entrepreneurial and business learnings from my 18 years working in my own technology businesses.
- Market failure and irrationality.
- Quirks in public markets and resulting opportunities.
- Private markets and venture capital gossip.
- Behind the scenes stories from my time at Sargon, GrowthOps and Trimantium.
- Challenges and announcements from my new business Galactic Bioware
I am also likely to post niche content in the realms of skateboarding, DOTA and survivalism. Consider yourself warned. Please read and agree to the disclaimer before reading on.
- Ashurst #CashFurstIf Ashurst had of read the investment documentation and emails with the same attention as they read my blog posts, or undertook the path they represented to me in December 2019 of appointing an independent investigating accountant to get to the bottom of the whole structure for their and their client’s educational benefit, then their client would by now likely be in funds exceeding A$200 million and Ashurst wouldn’t be dealing with an annoying blogger impugning their otherwise stellar reputation.
- Ashurst’s Web of ConflictsAs a follow-up to this popular post on Ashurst’s conduct around the receivership appointment over Sargon Capital Pty Ltd, I bring the Australian business community’s attention to issues around conflict management and how breaches of client confidentiality by Ashurst might have coloured advice given by Ashurst to China Taiping which led to Sargon’s unnecessary demise.
- Ashurst destroyed Sargon, wiped out Taiping’s investment.Ashurst destroyed Sargon and its clients prospects of recovery with its recommendation to appoint receivers in the circumstances, and then sealed their client’s fate by completely botching the execution.
- Galactic Bioware soft launchesGun-control and routine violence in the US and many places around the world is not improving, and recent politics hasn’t helped. Responsible gun laws seem so far away that many other initiatives need to work together to reduce the injuries and deaths resulting from city violence.
- Shopify Github MusingsShopify is extremely powerful, and I use it across many projects, but some of the themes and apps have strange limitations. I’ve started publishing small fixes & modules where I could not find a solution online in the form of a tutorial, accurate Stack Overflow post or a free app.
- Consumer-grade Mesh Home Wifi ExperimentI think it is safe to say that the home / retail end of the mesh wifi market is still pretty nascent. I thought I’d try something new at home, so I ventured into the Mercku ecosystem. I picked Mercku because it had a good blend of the following criteria: Minimal and discreet aesthetic, reasonable reviews for reliability and uptime, a demonstrated commitment to maintaining firmware, nice origin story on Indigogo
- Harrington Kingston HassI am now a Partner at Harrington Kingston Hass working with an amazing team of investigators, negotiators and intelligence people. Harrington Kingston Hass is an investigation, negotiation and counter-intelligence company focused on the corporate sector. HKH assists clients to be successful in litigation and make better decisions informed by the very best and most up-to-date information available.
- Oligopolies are great for entrepreneursAn oligopoly has various academic definitions that describe the same kind of market structure: an inefficient market with market power concentrated in a small number of firms where consumers are overpaying for the particular good or service at a given level of quality. Overpaying takes various forms including an inferior product being overcharged for, or an OK product commanding a significant price premium due to the market structure (e.g. artificially restricted supply).
Armour ASX FinTech Galactic Bioware Games Github GrowthOps Harrington Kingston Hass Henley Club Phillip Kingston Prepper Programming Reviews Security Shopify Skateboarding Superannuation Survivalist Weird Stuff